{soul food}


It seems like every time the earth tilts just enough and seasons change, I hear people coo ecstatically about this new season being their favorite. I am afraid that I blow a little more hot and cold in this respect, for I find that I love every season in good measure, and if I had to pick a favorite, it would be winter. But loving winter as I do, with its frozen nights and crystallized perspective, I always look forward to the coming spring, to the thawing of earth and the bursting forth of color, but in particular, to the lengthening days. This week, I find the bulk of my soul food in this lingering daylight, in the warm sun soaking into my skin, stirring me and waking me, just as it is doing to all that is about me.

{Soul food} is my term for the things that keep me moving in life, that inspire me and refill the "spring of my soul," so to speak. Sometimes soul food is an image, sometimes it's in the form of a book, a single poem, or even a film. At other times, soul food is that cup of tea had at just the right moment, or that homemade bread you decided to make even though you'd rather lay like a puddle of goo on the floor. The point is, soul food is anything that lifts you up, that makes you feel inspired or whole, anything that makes you stop and breathe, anything that gives you the strength to keep marching on.

No comments: