{soul food}


A few weeks ago I made the decision to discontinue my {soul food} feature. The truth is that I have been struggling with this feature almost since the beginning, because of my decision to try to avoid "re-blogging," as much  as possible- and in a lot of ways, the very nature of this feature is in re-blogging, getting permission to re-post the works of other artists and creatives, of other bloggers, which is against one of my basic goals with this little space of mine. When I started the Raven's Wood, I made the decision to try and create as much original content as possible, even though I knew it would mean fewer posts, and a lot more work- but it's something I feel strongly about here and while I often find myself profoundly inspired by other people and other blogs, I don't want to cover my space with their work.

The natural solution to this problem of re-blogging would be, of course, to post original content, which is what I spent a great deal of time trying to do, with very little success. The problem for me with this solution was that I would spend all week discarding posts and ideas thinking, "oh no, I should save that for {soul food}," or, "oh, that's not really accurate enough for {soul food}." There were a few months there when I joke with my husband that I should rename the blog {soul food} because those were practically the only posts for the whole month. I began to feel like {soul food} was taking over this blog, stagnating it and controlling it; it became a curse for me, something I dreaded every week, a chore instead of an adventure. Finally, after skipping it repeatedly and avoiding it like the plague, I decided to stop skipping it and feeling guilty about doing so. In fact, I decided to stop it all together.

Which brings us to this point, the final {soul food}, the moment of release, of the  freedom to move about and explore, "to let be be finale of seem." The moment to let this space be whatever it ends up becoming, unhindered, uncontrolled, freely shaped.

{Soul food} is my term for the things that keep me moving in life, that inspire me and refill the "spring of my soul," so to speak. Sometimes soul food is an image, sometimes it's in the form of a book, a single poem, or even a film. At other times, soul food is that cup of tea had at just the right moment, or that homemade bread you decided to make even though you'd rather lay like a puddle of goo on the floor. The point is, soul food is anything that lifts you up, that makes you feel inspired or whole, anything that makes you stop and breathe, anything that gives you the strength to keep marching on.

No comments: