Veggie Guinness Pie


We've been having some lovely afternoons here followed by some chilly nights which have the tendency of putting one in the frame of mind of warm socks, cozy blankets, and as much comfort food as one can hold. So, the other night I donned my fuzzy socks and made the husband and I Jamie Oliver's pretty amazing Steak, Guinness and Cheese Pie with a Puff Pastry Lid- only I generally don't eat meat, so I adapted it into a veggie version. 

I don't feel right about typing out the whole Jamie Oliver recipe for you here with my veggie additions because well, it's not my recipe it's Jamie's- and I pretty much love Jamie Oliver. So, if you're interested in the recipe, please click on the link(s) above so that Jamie Oliver can receive proper credit for his work. BUT, I will tell you that I subtracted the meat and added instead:

4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
1 cup cooked peas
and instead of the field mushrooms I used one 8 oz. package of baby bellas/crimini mushrooms, sliced.
I followed all of Jamie's original instructions with the following modifications:
After frying the onion for about 5 minutes I added the potatoes and cooked both for about ten minutes. Then I proceeded to add the other ingredients per Jamie's instructions (this is the point when I added the peas and mushrooms). After adding the Guinness and water I continued to simmer on the stove for about 30 minutes to reduce some of the liquid from the added vegetables. Then I transferred the filling to my casserole-type dish, put the lid on, and baked for the remaining time (I don't have a dutch oven so this was easier for me than transferring it back and forth after it'd been in the oven, but if you do have one then I would proceed according to Jamie's instructions and not worry about it). The last modification I made was that I only added the puff pastry as a lid and did not place it on the bottom, so mine wasn't really a true pie (I like to save half the puff and turn it into a quick pastry style pizza later in the week), but it worked for me. One last note would be that my filling was really ready to go when I added the pastry on top so I only baked it for another 20-30 minutes before I served it- just long enough for the puff pastry to brown and do it's bit before pulling it out, letting it cool slightly, and "tucking in," as Jamie so often says. This is a largely no fuss recipe great for lazy days and cold nights.

No comments: