A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg


When I shared my Completed December To Dos with you last week, I told you how much I had enjoyed reading Molly Wizenberg's book, A Homemade Life- in fact, I told you that it was one of my favorites of all of the books that I read in 2011 and, the year being properly finished now, I don't mind telling you that it was probably the favorite. This was one of those books that I opened one night to try out (you know the way you sometimes do when you can't decide what to read and so you have to try different books on to see which one fits?) and found myself reading into the late hours. I love this book so much that when a friend I recommended it to beat around the bush about borrowing it, I played quite dumb, nodding, smiling a great deal, and looking absently at the tops of trees.

 Made up of chronological personal essays that explore the inseparable link between life and food, A Homemade Life is a sort of coming of age tale in which the recipes shoot off naturally from the story-- like all good meals do in life, enhancements to the experience rather than distractions. Including such tantalizing recipes as banana bread with chocolate and crystallized ginger, cider-glazed salmon, dutch baby cakes with lemon and sugar, and butternut soup with pear, cider, and vanilla bean, Wizenberg's book will have you longing to jump up and run into the kitchen at the end of every chapter, inexplicably ravenous. But A Homemade Life isn't just about the food, it's about the lives that we live in between meals, about first loves, deep loves, and true loves, about laughter and self-growth, and utter heartbreak. This is a story about the experiences that make up a life, one that is homemade and true, consciously built, imperfect, and loved-- in the kitchen and out.

Whether she's exploring her first trip to France and subsequent discovery of bread and chocolate, that first bold variance from a recipe, the heartbreak of Italian Grotto Eggs, or the blog that would lead her to a husband, a book, and so much else, Wizenberg does it all with contagious humor and heart-warming honesty. Like a great conversation between friends shared over an excellent meal, A Homemade Life seeps into you, leaving you with a pleasant feeling of warmth and comfort.

2 comments:

Jade said...

I have to say, I've read a few of your posts here & I think your blog is so refreshing. Your writing style is incredibly graceful... I can sense a really pleasant personality through your words!

I just added this book to my "to read" list on goodreads. Looks like something I'd really like to read. Thanks :)

Mary said...

Jade, thank you so much for such a lovely comment! It made my day! :)