The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan


I pretty much love Rick Riordan, hoarding his books and devouring them slowly with great entertaining gulps-- some people do this with romance novels or pirate stories, and I do it with Riordan's mythological based kids series. Riordan is, in my opinion, children's literature at it's best: funny, honest, layered, educational, gripping, adventurous, and utterly appealing to kids and adults alike. A lot of children's authors attempt to write children's books by basing their idea of youth off of something from a CW TV program or reality TV show, chocking it full of sex or moody twelve year olds; Riordan, however, manages to grasp the fundamental basics of what it is to talk like a kid and actually be a kid, without resorting to some Hollywood prototype. If there are two bright lights shining in the realm of contemporary children's literature, two authors who understand children as they actually are and write brilliantly for them, then they are indisputably J.K Rowling and Rick Riordan.

So, I will confess that when I turned the final page of The Last Olympian, I found myself wondering how Riordan would ever top his Percy Jackson Series-- only then, I hadn't really counted on him coming up with his absolutely brilliant Heroes of Olympus Series. The first installment in the series, The Lost Hero, is quite possibly my favorite of all of Riordan's books so far. Reflecting a maturation in the writing style and plot, The Lost Hero was obviously written with the readers of the Percy Jackson Series in mind, serving not only as a continuation of the Olympian adventures, but also as the next step up in their reading level. With The Lost Hero, Riordan shows that not only is he aware of the time passing between his novels, but also of the need for them to grow and change with his readers, making sure that his books can accompany his readers on their own grand adventures as they themselves mature and grow.

Following the adventures of Jason, Piper, and Leo, The Lost Hero finds readers back at Camp Half-Blood pondering over the mysterious disappearance of their beloved Percy Jackson and facing the beginning of the next Great Prophecy that was delivered at the end of The Last Olympian. When the Queen of the Gods, Hera, is found to be missing as well, a new quest is ordered and the heroes set out to save her. With Olympus sealed, the dead rising, and old alliances divided, the heroes must rely solely on themselves, confronting along the way their own deepest fears and greatest doubts. A blending of Classical worlds and mythologies, The Lost Hero is an irresistible rollicking adventure that will keep readers engulfed until the final page and reaching hungrily for the next installment.

{images}: Barnes & Noble

2 comments:

Amber Lee said...

Ooh, did you read The Red Pyramid and it's follow-up? I loved them! I haven't read The Lost Hero yet, although I have been meaning to!

Mary said...

YES!!! I loved those books! Did you see that the last one in that series is coming out the beginning of May? It's called the Serpent's Shadow and I can't wait, although I admit I was really hoping the series would go on longer. If you like the Kane Chronicles then I think you will really like The Lost Hero, it has an ingenious concept behind it and I was trying like crazy not to give it away in my review!