Lately



It's been a while. You may have thought that I had died- sometimes had thought that I had died. Overall though, it was me trying to figure things out. While I've been away from you, I've been cooking and photographing and working in my small garden. I'm in love with my farmer's market and the local co-op. I've been reading about keeping bees and canning, and the husband and I have been trying to master the art of cheese making. I've been reading cookbooks like they're novels and I've been reading a lot about plants and urban farming. I'm not sure if I will ever be the type of girl to have chickens or goats, although the idea does interest me. What I would like to do though is this: I'd like to get a house and a bigger garden. I'd like to keep cooking and growing, but be able, eventually, to do it on a larger scale than I can do now.




I've been finding myself in my small garden and hauling my meager harvests into the kitchen for experiments. Then, I found myself at the farmer's market here again, lugging home supplemental ingredients- only this time around, I liked it. And it's been strange but somehow, I've started finding myself liking where I live more than I ever thought possible.


4 comments:

Amber Lee said...

Hooray for finding what makes you happy! Your future with plants and food may not be glamorous, but it's one of the most important things a person could fall into, I think. It sounds wonderful to me.

I'm in a similar place. I graduate in a year, and grad school has been the plan for awhile now, but really, I just want to read books and cook delicious food. We'll see where it all goes, I guess!

Debi Smith said...

I love this!

Mary said...

@Amber Lee- obviously, I'm flaky these days- it's been months and I'm sorry! I was the same way when I finished college and I kept forcing the issue, trying so hard to make myself go to graduate school. I think reading books and cooking delicious food sounds like an excellent plan! :) As always, thanks for commenting!

Mary said...

@ Debi Smith I am so sorry that this sat in moderation for so long! The email notification for it went amiss and clearly, I haven't been on here for ages and ages! Thank you for stopping by on here and commenting! And of course, for the kind words! :)